Living In a Smaller Community
There are many people who dream about living in a big city and all of the opportunities and endless options that come along with it. But there are many amazing benefits to living in a smaller community. Small cities may not be as interesting and exciting as a big city, but they do have something very special to offer. In a big city the rhythm and lifestyle is so different compared to that of a small town.
Time is never enough, you’re always on the go, you have anonymity if you want it and you will rarely be judged for your actions or your lifestyle. This is not the case in a small city, in fact you’ll probably experience the exact opposite! Whether you will enjoy living in a small city is entirely up to you and your preferred way of life. If you’re curious whether or not small-town life is for you, keep reading for a few distinct reasons that make small town life better than the big city, and how to enjoy life in a small town once you do make the move.
First Things First
There are many small towns that you can call home, especially in the outskirts of the big cities in Texas.
There is a small town by the name of Leona that is located right in the middle between Dallas and Houston and less than an hour away from Bryan, TX – a short and quick 48-mile drive.
If you choose to move to a small town that is relatively close to a bigger city, it allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds. Leona is a city in Leon County, TX and the population came in at just under 200 at the last census. You’ll be able to get everything you want in this small town and you’ll also be able to buy Leona real estate at very affordable prices.
Perhaps the best part about Leona is the incredibly popular Leona General Store. The store was established in 1998 and is very popular with locals and tourists alike for the incredible food – mainly the juicy and tasty steaks. Jerry House and his family turned the General Store, which also sells traditional items you’d find in a store, into a must-see steak spot that only serves up ridiculous sized rib-eyes on Friday and Saturday nights.
6 Reasons to Live in a Small Town
If you’re undecided about making the move to a small town – here are a few reasons to help you make up your mind.
- The most obvious reason that makes people move from a big city to a small town is that the cost of living is significantly lower and more affordable. Everything from food, clothing, groceries, gas, real estate and many other things are cheaper in small cities. You can buy Leona real estate at incredibly affordable prices, or you can buy land and build your own home exactly the way you want it. Apart from the fact that everything is more affordable in a small town, it’s also a lot easier to save money when you’re not paying big city prices for all of your wants and needs.
- If you are interested in growing your family, you’ll find that it’s a lot easier to raise children in a small town. Although your options for education may be limited, you’ll find that the childhood your kids will enjoy will be absolutely magical. It’s also a lot safer to raise children in small towns as there is less traffic, everyone knows everyone, and you won’t have to worry about letting your kids play outdoors after dark.
- In a small town you’ll find that nature is everywhere, and you’ll be surrounded by lots of greenery, open spaces, ponds and rivers, breathtaking landscapes, animals and less construction and industrial or commercial buildings. The air is fresher and clearer since there is less traffic, especially early in the morning or late in the evening. People who live in small towns tend to lead a healthier lifestyle.
- When you live in a big city, you have to own a car or spend a lot of money on commuting and getting to where you need to be. When you live in a small town, however, you can bike or even walk to the places you need to reach. Not only will this help you save time and money, but it can also improve your health and help you feel better. There’s nothing worse than being stuck in a traffic jam early in the morning or after a long day at work – if you make the switch to walking and biking, you’ll be able to turn your daily commute into a workout!
- People who live in big cities are busy, and there’s an anonymity that comes along with city living that many people enjoy. This means that it’s not likely for you to be very close with your neighbors or anyone outside of your immediate friend group. Residents of smaller towns tend to be more friendly and sociable, and even though it seems like everyone knows everyone else’s business, you will find that neighbors in small towns will always be around to help in times of need.
- Big cities are well known for high end shopping, fine dining, museums, theaters, spas, cafes and great entertainment. Just because you move to a small town doesn’t mean you’re going to be eternally bored or that you have to give all of those things up. You’ll be pleasantly surprised to find that smaller cities have more to offer than you may thing. There are parks, cinemas, restaurants, shops and markets. They may not be as luxurious and spacious as those in a metropolitan area, but you will find what you need, and you’ll always have something to do. If you do find that you need to venture to the big city for some additional excitement, Bryan, TX is only a short drive away from Leon!
5 Advantages of Small Town Living
While there are disadvantages to living in a small town, there are plenty of benefits that outweigh the difficulties. How your life turns out in a small town is entirely dependent upon you and your lifestyle. If you do choose to make the move to a small town like Leon, TX, here are a few tips and tricks to help you settle in and seamlessly transition into your new home and surroundings.
- People who live in a smaller community have an established routine – they already have a close-knit group of friends, activities and habits. In order for you to be invited into this routine that means that these people will have to change it, so take your time. Don’t try to rush into anything, instead be slow and patient and social opportunities will come up without you trying too hard. Before you know it, you’ll be a social butterfly and an established local.
- Gossip can be common in a small town but try your hardest not to get involved. If you stay out of it, avoid giving an opinion and don’t encourage gossip then that will show that you can be trusted and will ultimately lead to strong relationships with your neighbors and other residents.
- Find things to do that will keep you busy, with or without company. Sometimes live in a small town can feel lonely, but if you have an activity or a passion that helps to fill up your free time it’ll keep you busy until your social calendar starts to fill up.
- Take your time exploring your new town and enjoy it with fresh eyes. There’s nothing more exciting than visiting a new place or trying out a restaurant that is highly recommended. Make it a point to visit all of the “hot spots” in town, but also the more secluded areas – you never know when you might find a hidden gem.
- Get to know your neighbors, it’s inevitable, but make sure that you foster a strong and trusting relationship with your neighbors. These are the people who will be around to help you if you ever need it in case of an emergency, or if you need someone to keep an eye on your home while you are out of town.
Still Have Questions?
Life in a small town is different from the big city, but with a little bit of guidance and patience you are sure to quickly fall into a happy routine and you’ll enjoy life as a local. If you’re interested in learning more about the most popular small cities near College Station and Bryan, TX, or if you’d like to specifically learn about Leon real estate, please contact us for more information.
We’d be happy to help you explore the area, find the perfect property and help you seamlessly transition into your new life. Our team boasts many years of real estate experience in the area and we strive to provide a seamless and painless transaction for all of our clients. We look forward to hearing from you soon and helping you achieve your real estate goals!