College Station, TX is home to the Texas A&M University main campus, which was established in 1876 and is well known as the state’s first public institution of higher education. The campus offers more than 130 undergraduate degree programs, 170 master’s degree programs, 93 doctoral degree programs and 5 professional degree. Texas A&M is home to more than 62,000 students and is a very prominent college applauded for its education and its sports programs. The prominence of the campus paired with its outstanding location makes the university the city’s leading employer. While the campus provides on-site residence for students and A&M employees there are various other housing options to look into if you’re looking to work and live in College Station.
If you are an employee of Texas A&M University and you are looking for homes for sale, properties for rent or additional housing options in College Station, then you have come to the right place. Our team at Brazos County Realty is here to help with all of your local real estate needs, and we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have about the area, the real estate market and to offer guidance as you find the perfect property to call home. The best homes for A&M employees comes down to personal preference and what your unique needs and wants are. A few things to think about before beginning your home search include:
- How long do you plan to live in this home?
- Are you interested in continuing to own the home and renting it out even after you move out?
- Do you want to be in a quiet area, or do you prefer to be closer to downtown style activities, nightlife, restaurants, movie theaters and more?
- How important is it for you to be close to campus? Are you ok with a commute?
- Do you have a family? If not, are you planning on starting a family any time soon?
- Do you need to be in a family-friendly area near good schools, playgrounds and parks?
- How big of a home are you looking for?
- What amenities are a must for you in your new home?
- How much house can you afford? How much of a deposit are you comfortable putting down on a property?
- Do you prefer to rent a home?
- Do you want to live in an apartment?
- Do you want to live in a condo or townhome development? Are you ok with paying monthly HOA fees?
- What are you looking for in an ideal neighborhood?
- Do you want a home with a view?
- Do you want a big backyard?
- Do you have pets – is the property you are interested in suitable for them?
- Do you want a single-story or two-story property?
These are just a few guiding questions that you should be able to answer for yourself before you even begin your home search in College Station. Additionally, there are some financial questions that you will want to ask yourself before you begin your house hunting. Make sure to meet with a trusted and reputable lender who can get you pre-approved for a loan ahead of time. You will need to check your credit score and gather important documents like tax returns and pay stubs to determine what you can afford in the College Station real estate market.
There are various types of houses and properties for Sale in College Station, TX. Some options you may consider include:
- Luxury Homes
- Luxury Condos
- Fixer upper properties
- Single-family homes with expansive land
- Investment properties
- Multi-Family homes
- Waterfront properties
- And more!
If you are not ready to make a permanent purchase on a home, then you may consider renting a home. When you are looking for a rental property, it’s similar to looking for a home to purchase – the biggest difference is that the negotiations are different. If you are looking to rent, here are a few tips to take into consideration:
- Discuss pets early – if you have furry friends who are coming along with you, make sure to find out what the landlord’s policy is in regard to pets. Oftentimes you will see an additional pet deposit, weight or breed restrictions for dogs or a limit on how many pets you can have.
- Pay special attention to appliances – when visiting a rental property that you like, take extra time to inspect the refrigerator, freezer, washer and dryer, microwave, stove, oven, dishwasher, etc. You should report any defects that you find right away so that you are not liable for defects. Make sure to seek clarification in writing as to who will be responsible for maintenance and repair on these items if you enter into a rental agreement.
- Carefully review any special terms and conditions to make sure you feel comfortable with them.
- Understand how rent increases work if you plan on renting long-term.
- Ask for everything in writing.
Another option that you may find favorable as an A&M employee, is looking to buy a fixer upper home. With the onslaught of popular HGTV programming that shows incredible transformations of run-down properties, this may be something to consider! When buying a fixer upper you will save money on your down payment and mortgage, but you will have to make sure you have the funds necessary to rehab the home so the end result meets your expectations. As you invest time and money into your fixer upper you are also increasing the value of the property over time. Check out some of our tips to buying a fixer upper before you make your decision:
- As a Texas A&M employee, take the time to think about how much time you will have to dedicate to a home rehab. Are you looking for a total dump with good bones, or is it more reasonable to look at properties that need a few cosmetic tweaks that can be completed over time? You will want to look for properties outside of the academic year, or just before the year concludes for summer. That will ensure that you have time to complete any big renovations during summer programs so you have more time to supervise your contractor, or dedicate to any DIY projects.
- Remember that many fixer upper properties may be sold in “as-is” condition. This means that even if you have an inspector review the property and find issues, it’s unlikely the seller will give you any credits or discounts off the sale price. That doesn’t mean you should skip any inspections though – you definitely want to work with a professional inspector and get specialized inspections for plumbing and the roof so you know what you are getting yourself into once you begin the renovation process.
- Some things are easier to fix than others – for example, a new roof, an updated HVAC system, a new electrical panel, plumbing and structural repairs are time consuming and can be very expensive. Replacing floors, patching walls, opening up walls, renovating a bathroom, installing new windows and painting is a lot easier and way more affordable. Before you commit to a fixer upper you need to put a budget in place to help guide your renovation. Remember that with any renovation, it’s important to add 20% on top of your budget because inevitably there will be unexpected costly surprises.
- Even if you are a DIY-expert, we highly recommend working with a professional contractor. A dedicated professional will help manage the project and the budget, offer advice and guidance as you make decisions and ensure that the final product is a true realization of your initial vision.
College Station is a picturesque town in the heart of Texas where individuals can enjoy a wonderful lifestyle in a tight-knit community. There is always something to do, and especially with the college campus nearby, there is a young and exciting atmosphere that residents can tap into. If you are moving to the area for a new job opportunity as a A&M employee, we’ve got some great online resources to help you prepare for your new life in our wonderful city! Our little guide will give you a glimpse into local restaurants, nightlife, transportation options, medical resources and so much more.
If you are a Texas A&M employee looking for the best homes, then you will need the help of an established and experienced real estate agent who knows the area like the back of their hand. My team and I love this community and we know what makes the area so desirable. We would be happy to show you around the community, point out local restaurants, shops, schools and attractions and help you pick the perfect neighborhood that fits your lifestyle and is close to work. Please contact us if you have any questions about the College Station community, where to find the best homes for A&M employees or if you would like to look through some of our featured listings. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you find your dream home in our wonderful city!