Texas A&M University is located in College Station, TX and is well known as the state’s first public institution for higher education. The campus was established in 1876 and today it offers more than 130 undergraduate degree programs, 170 master’s degree programs, 93 doctoral degree programs and five professional degree programs. With more than 62,000 students the school is considered to be very large, and it’s also very spacious as it covers more than 5,200 acres in College Station. Texas A&M is best known for its business, agriculture and engineering programs – and it also has one of the more prominent programs in recreation, park and tourism management. The school boasts a graduation rate of 82% and alumni tend to really thrive economically after graduating from the school.
Texas A&M is a top-notch school and a very prominent establishment in Brazos County, which is why it is also a leading employer in College Station. There are various options for on-site residence for both students and A&M faculty, but there are also other housing options available if A&M employees are looking to work and live in the area. The type of residence that is best for A&M employees is based on personal preferences and the unique wants and needs of the individual. Here are a few questions to ask yourself before you determine what type of home you are looking for:
- Do you want to live in an apartment?
- Do you want to own or rent a property?
- Are you ok with paying monthly HOA fees if you find the perfect home located in a condo or townhome community?
- Do you want a single-story or two-story home?
- Will you be living here short-term or long-term?
- Do you want to continue owning the property even if you decide to move out? Will you keep it as an income or rental property?
- Are you interested in a quiet, suburban neighborhood or do you prefer to live near a downtown-like area where you can have easy access to nightlife, restaurants and entertainment?
- How far are you willing to commute? Do you prefer to live closer to the campus?
- Do you have a family? If not, are you planning on starting a family in the near future?
- Do you prefer to be in a neighborhood where there are good schools, parks and playgrounds?
- Do you want a smaller home like a condo or townhome, or do you prefer a more expansive property with an impressive backyard?
- What amenities are important to you? Things like a pool, stainless steel appliances, a deck, big yard, etc. are important to take into consideration when searching for homes.
- How much can you afford? How are your finances? How much of a down payment will you be comfortable with?
- Do you want a home with a view?
- Do you have pets?
There are various other questions that are important for you to answer as you embark on your home search. It’s also important that you work with an experienced and professional lender who can help you sort out your financial situation. Getting pre-approved for a loan is an important step in the home buying process and one that you should not skip. Your lender will walk you through the process of applying for a mortgage, check your credit score and collect important documents like paychecks and tax returns to determine how much you will be able to afford when looking for a home in College Station, TX.
Once you know what you are pre-approved for you can confidently work with your real estate agent and being looking at homes for sale. There are various homes and properties for sale in Bryan College Station for you to consider, these include:
- Luxury homes and condos
- Fixer upper properties
- Single family homes
- Investment properties
- Multi-family homes
- Waterfront properties
- Golf course homes
- Farm and ranch land
- Foreclosure properties
- And so much more!
Rental properties are popular among A&M employees, simply because it allows them to live in a comfortable home that is located near the campus without a long-term commitment of owning it. If you are not prepared to buy a home then you should consider looking into rentals near Texas A&M. Looking for homes for rent in College Station, TX is similar to looking for homes to purchase – the main difference comes down to the negotiations. Here are some tips to help you find the perfect rental in College Station:
- Make sure that every bit of your negotiation is put down in writing in your lease agreement
- Discuss how rent increases will happen, especially if you plan on renting the home for a couple of years
- Carefully review every part of your lease agreement, including special terms and conditions to make sure that you understand them and are comfortable with them
- Discuss pets early and make sure you understand the policy in regard to pets. It is common for landlords to request an additional pet deposit as well as pet rent. There may also be restrictions for specific breeds and pets that are above a certain weight.
- Pay special attention to the appliances in the home and make sure to report any cosmetic defects right away to ensure that you are not liable for any damage that was present before you moved in. Discuss who is responsible for the repair and maintenance of all items once you sign your lease agreement.
- Work with a real estate agent who can help you find a rental property that fits your wants and needs and can assist with the lease negotiation to ensure you are protected and won’t have to deal with unpleasant situations while you live in this home
Another popular option for homes for Texas A&M employees includes looking into fixer upper opportunities. Buying a home that needs some serious TLC is both exciting and a lot of work, but you can really create the home of your dreams if you are smart about it and put some elbow grease into the renovation. The most important thing to keep in mind when buying a fixer upper is that even though you will save money on the down payment and monthly mortgage payments, you need to ensure you have the funds necessary to complete the renovations on the home so that it meets your expectations. Buying a fixer upper and rehabbing it instantly increases the value of the home, which can be very beneficial if you choose to sell it in the future. Here are some things to keep in mind when buying a fixer upper home in College Station, TX.
- Most fixer upper homes are sold “as-is,” which means that you will not receive credits or a discount on the price even if a home inspector finds issues.
- Make sure that you have the time to put into the renovation. As a Texas A&M employee we encourage you to look for properties outside of the academic year so that you can have the time to supervise your contractor and tackle big projects during the summer break.
- Even if you enjoy DIY projects, we highly recommend working with professionals on big things like HVAC, electrical, reconfiguring the layout and others.
- Before you begin a renovation develop a timeline and determine what absolutely needs to be done and what can be fixed at a later time. For example, structural issues and things like plumbing and electrical work should be done right away whereas cosmetic updates like resurfacing the cabinets or painting the window frames can be done later.
- Be realistic about your budget – a fixer upper can end up being a very expensive project. There is always a chance that when you begin renovating the property you will come across surprises and unexpected issues that can cost you a small fortune to repair.
College Station is a picturesque town in the heart of Texas where you can enjoy a wonderful lifestyle in a tight-knit community. There is much to do, see and enjoy in the area as well as incredible opportunities for employment at Texas A&M. If you are new to the area we encourage you to take a look at our resources page to help you prepare for life in this beautiful city – we’ll help you find the best restaurants, transportation options, medical resources and so much more. If you are an employee of Texas A&M University and you are looking for homes for sale, properties for rent or additional housing options in College Station, then you have come to the right place. Our team at Brazos County Realty is here to help with all of your local real estate needs, and we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have about the area, the real estate market and to offer guidance as you find the perfect property to call home.